The Colombo Picture Palace was established as a sole proprietorship by the late Al haj S M M Hussain in the year 1943 as a firm involved in picture framing, glass and mirror related industries. At a later time the company was involved in the printing business mainly printing calendars and colourful posters. The Colombo Picture Palace commenced operations at Armour Street but later shifted operations to 104, Prince Street, Colombo 11 and then to 102 Prince Street, Colombo 11 (Al-Haj S M M Hussain Charitable Trust Building). Presently the firm operates from 507/17, Prince of Wales Avenue, Colombo 14.
CPP was the first Sri Lankan company to commission a fully automated silvering conveyor which required substantial capital investment since it was of European origin. CPP was also the first to purchase expensive beveling and edging machines to process glass.
The Colombo Picture Palace had its factory and stores located at 507 – 507/17, Price of Wales Avenue, Colombo 14
CPP was also pioneer glass exporter to the Middle East including Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc in the 1970s
The Colombo Picture Palace was also a founder member of the National Chamber of Commerce of Sri Lanka bearing membership No.0002 of of the NCCSL. Presently the CPP is also a Patron Member of the NCCSL.
After the passing away of the founder three of his sons (Messrs Nazeer, Zameek & Rizvi) managed the business. Thereafter the third generation joined the business to develop it further.